Emails unrelated to my campaigns appear in Woodpecker Inbox
What you will find in this article:
How reply detection works
One of the core features of Woodpecker is proper reply detection. This ensures that there is always information when a prospect is interested in your offer, and that your follow-up schedule runs smoothly and accurately, without barging your prospects' inboxes with additional emails when they replied already.
One of the mechanisms that make reply detection possible is pairing by domain, which allows the App to know when someone replies to your email from a different address – for example, when an email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org was replied to by his colleague, from the address email@example.com.
The disadvantage here is that emails that are not (directly) related to your campaigns may appear in your inbox if the sender's domain matches that of one of your prospects.
This is most noticeable when you add an address from your own company to Woodpecker, for test purposes. You may then be seeing some emails from your other colleagues in Woodpecker Inbox, since their addresses will be at the same domain. (Dang!) How to deal with that »
Receiving emails from a specific prospect
Emails from the addresses in your prospect database will usually appear in the Inbox, regardless of whether these are replies to your campaign or not. This is the expected behavior of the App, as it will rather grab redundant emails than miss one that's very important.
If you're sure you don't want any emails from a particular address (or domain) to show up in the App, read: How to remove or block emails from Woodpecker Inbox »
Settings: download "related" or "all" emails
You can decide whether you want the App to only download the emails that are related to your campaign or prospects (default), or would rather have all incoming emails from that mailbox in Woodpecker.
To control that, navigate to Settings → Email Accounts, click your mailbox in the list, then Receiving and scroll down to find the section "Inbox", then select the preferred option.
- download all emails incoming to this email address:
many more emails will appear in Woodpecker Inbox but ensures you won't skip any business email that way. This is also useful if you usually browse that inbox within Woodpecker.
- download only emails connected with a prospect or a campaign in Woodpecker:
less cluttered Inbox, only emails from your prospects or replies to your campaigns will appear in Woodpecker Inbox, although you will need to browse for any related messages within your email account. A great option if you only send cold emails from Woodpecker through that email account.
Reply detection fares best when you are using a dedicated mailbox for sending cold email campaigns.
We strongly recommend setting up a separate email account for cold outreach.
How to remove or block emails from Woodpecker Inbox
Option 1: Block from Inbox
Go to your Inbox in the app, find the email from the address (or domain) that you want to remove or block and click the bin icon in the upper right, then select:
- Delete only from here - only deletes the email from Woodpecker
- Delete from here and my email Inbox - deletes this specific message from Woodpecker Inbox and your mailbox
- Delete all past and future emails from this prospect from here - deletes all emails from this prospect and prevents from any future emails you might get from them from appearing in Woodpecker Inbox (They will still come to the inbox on your email server).
- Delete all past and future emails from this domain from here - deletes all emails from any prospects sharing this domain and prevents from any future emails you might get from them from appearing in Woodpecker Inbox (They will still come to the inbox on your email server).
- GDPR encrypt this prospect - deletes all emails and encrypts your prospects' data, changing their status to BLACKLISTED. Learn more about how to use GDPR encryption and unsubscribe.
Option 2: Set up "Blocked Correspondence"
Go to Settings → Email Accounts, click your mailbox in the list → Receiving and scroll down to find the section "Blocked Correspondence". Click Add, then:
- Add email addresses (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) to block (one per line). All emails from these addresses will be removed from the Woodpecker Inbox, and new emails will be blocked.
- Add domains (e.g. company.com) to block (one per line). All emails from any addresses at these domains will be removed from Woodpecker Inbox, and new emails will be blocked.